Ear training can help maximize the benefits of your Ovation Hearing hearing device. Hearing is a vital part of life – from quiet conversations with friends and loved ones to listening to your favorite music on the radio to enjoying a night out at a restaurant – because without it we’re unable to connect with the world in the same way. While no hearing aid can restore normal hearing health or prevent a hearing impairment, these ear training tips can help you maximize the benefits you’ll receive from a hearing device.
- First and foremost, if you are new to hearing devices, you may initially be surprised by all the “new” sounds that you’ll begin to hear. Don’t worry, this is normal. In fact, these aren’t “new” sounds at all, rather they are simply the sounds that you’ve been missing, but can now begin to enjoy once again.
- Patience is one of the keys to realizing the full benefits of your new hearing aids. You should notice improved hearing right away, but it is not uncommon for it to take a few weeks before you are completely comfortable with your hearing devices. It is recommended that you start by only wearing your hearing aids for about an hour a day and gradually extend that time period as you become more comfortable. Given that infrequent use of hearing aids may not provide the full benefits you’re looking for, it is a good idea early on to set a schedule to wear your hearing aids because your ultimate goals is wear your hearing aids all day, every day.
- At the beginning of your adjustment period you may find quiet environments and simple one-to-one conversations to be more comfortable. Many people also find that listening to books on tape is a good way to practice their “new” way of hearing and understanding speech. Over time, gradually introduce new listening environments.
- In the first few weeks, you may find yourself getting tired and frustrated at times. Again, this is normal and if you are feeling tired it’s OK to take a break. Once you’re rested up, try it again. The key is to reach out for support when you need it and to stick with it because it WILL get easier over time.
- Go ahead and experiment with your device. It is important to try different program settings and different volume levels in a variety of different listening environments to find the settings that are right for you. Not all hearing loss is the same, but with a little experimentation, you should be able to find the settings that are right for you in quiet environments, noisy environments and every situation in between.
- In noisy environments, you may find it easier to understand speech by facing the speaker. Your hearing aids will definitely help, but you can further aid your comprehension of speech by reading lips and focusing on facial expressions and body language.
- You may find that your own voice initially sounds loud. This is very common and most people adapt and get used to it over time.
At Ovation, we care deeply about your hearing health. If you have any further questions about our hearing aids or ear training tips and techniques, please call us at 1-800-595-8101 or email us at [email protected].